Holiday Tips For
Evening Dinner including Appetizers, Dessert, and Alcohol
• Be sure to eat breakfast with dietary fat, protein, and carbohydrates
• Plan out your meals during the day so that you eat a moderate sized meal about two hours prior to the party beginning.
• When drinking alcohol, be sure to eat appetizers that have dietary fat and protein in them. Alternate sipping on water with your alcohol and keep it to two drinks maximum throughout the evening that are simple without mixers; like Champagne or wine. Have sparkling water with a twist of lime, if you would like to avoid the alcohol altogether.
(Also, remember especially when you are in weight loss mode, alcohol may affect you faster than usual, so be prepared to take a cab—have an app already set on your phone so that you can ask for a cab you know and trust in your area using the GPS on your phone, and they will already have your credit card information on file!! Or have a designated driver.)
• Pace yourself through the meal
Have some of the salad without the croutons
Choose an entrée that is high in protein like fish, chicken, steak or lamb. Avoid breaded, crusted, or fried foods for your entrée
Simple vegetables with butter but no sauces
Have some of the dessert if it is something that you truly want
• At the end of the evening before you go to bed, do not hesitate to have a couple of cheese and crackers, it can easily have been 3-4 hours since you last ate.